Sunday, December 21, 2008

Seasonal Music: Winter Solstice!

Today is the first day of winter and I am overjoyed. Sure, the wind is blowing at thirty-five miles an hour and your tears freeze in your eyes, but it is winter. Yay! Please spend the next six minutes of your life with the greatest musical comeback of 2006-2007, Celtic Frost -- who are not Celtic, but Swiss. This song couldn't be more wintry, and always makes me happy.




My ten-year-old daughter Chloe calls these "the mud guys."

Not exactly the northern European chillout music I have been into for the past couple of years, eh?

Comments? Raves? Threats? If you don't post a comment, how will I know to go fuck myself?



Nexty: the Irvingesque thingy I thought I would have posted already -- replete with orphans, bears, wrestling, and untimely death.

6 comments:

Beck said...

Musical comeback from where - the Crypt? Ew. Not only is it cold I'm now going to be depressed for 6 years after watching that tripe.

I'm off to find some Debbie Gibson music as an anti-venom.

The King of Uncool said...

Tripe! How dare you sir! I fart in your general direction!

I'll have you know that Celtic Frost was one of the biggest influences on Debbie Gibson! Electric Youth is largely based on their classic album Are You Morbid? Plus, the Frost has never worshipped Satan, unlike Ms. Deborah Gibson...

Rob Anstee said...

Why Scott - I had no idea you were into Christian rock (winks). Yes the Frost is back, but they just don't seem as angry (or is it just me).

Lyrically, this one seems just like a Christmas carol. All it needs is "falalalala".

The King of Uncool said...

Why is it that, in metal, the fellas who say they don't believe in God and the devil spend the most time singing about them?

On my favorite playlist, this song comes right after "The Distance" by CAKE. I moved it recently. It was right after "Remind Me" by Röyksopp -- the song playing in the Geico caveman ad in the airport.

Sally said...

I called Beck and asked if she "got" the video. Thoughts of suicide were floating in my head after that one. Your sister is waaaaay to stuffy for the likes of Celtic Frost :))) Sorry.

The King of Uncool said...

Hmmm. Interesting.

I find this song rather uplifting. For me the leaden refrain juxtaposes well against the faint and faded Gregorian-chant like verse -- similar to when Welsh poet Dylan Thomas famously implored his subject to "rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Of course, as always, your mileage may vary.

The two creepiest songs I know are both from Ralph Stanley:

"O Death"

and

"Rank Stranger"